1. Face SPF: COOLA Unscented Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30 – It’s been incredibly sunny here in San Francisco, and it needs to be said that wearing SPF is THE key preventative measure for anti-aging. I first heard about COOLA on Youtube, and it was exactly the sunscreen I had been looking. It’s made with physical sunscreens (titanium dioxide and zinc oxide) with organic ingredients, unscented, slightly tinted, and provides at least SPF 30. I use it over my day moisturizer (which in itself has SPF 15), and it does not feel heavy at all for my oily skin. It also doubles as a makeup primer since it leaves a great matte, slightly tinted finish (VERY similar to Benefit The POREefessional).
2. Body SPF: COOLA Sunscreen Spray SPF 35 – Who would have thought I would get sunburned just walking around San Francisco?? I’m not one to burn easily, but since that happened I’ve been trying to be judicious about applying sunscreen to my shoulders and arms. I originally bought this to use for outdoor activities, but since I don’t have an SPF lotion at the moment, I’ve really been enjoying this. I got the pina colada scent, and it smells like I’m on vacation. Non-sticky.
3. Tinted Moisturizer OR Powder Foundation: Jouer Matte Moisture Tint SPF 15 or Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15 – I am trying out the Jouer Matte Moisture Tint in Nude (for color reference, I am MAC NC25, Chanel B30, NARS Sheer Glow in Pubjab), and I think it’s ok. It’s definitely not shiny upon application, but it does need to be set with a setting powder since it can slide around on my oily skin. Surprisingly, I’ve been reaching more for the Laura Mercier Mineral Powder in Natural Beige – the coverage is buildable and does not look cakey. I like applying it with the Bobbi Brown Bronzer brush, which at $52 IS an expensive brush, but it is my FAVORITE face powder AND bronzer brush of all time. And I have a lot of brushes.
4. Powder Touchup with SPF: Shiseido Sun Protection Compact SPF 34 PA+++ – SPF is one of those things that should be reapplied, and since face makeup wears off when you are outside sweating, why not do both at the same time? I bought the shade SP70 (the darkest shade available) a few years ago when I was SUPER tan, so I’m using it now as a bronzer on the perimeters of my face, on my cheeks, and a bit on my nose – just where the sun normally hits. I need to pick up SP30 to use for the center of my face since it’ll be a better match for my norma skin tone. I like the use the Eco Tools Retractable Kabuki Brush with this on the go.
5. Bronzer: NARS Bronzing Powder in Laguna – Despite having ~20 bronzers, I still reach for this the most for a subtle bronzed, sun-kissed glow. No better time than the summer to apply liberally.
6. Bright blush: Dior Rosy Glow in 001 Petal, MAC Blush in Style (or any peach shimmering blush) – Any bright pink or peach blush will do, actually. It really livens the complexion and complements a bronzed skin nicely. I’ve been reaching for these two recently as you can see from my blush collection, I should really rotate this more often.
7. Setting Spray: Skindinavia Makeup Finishing Spray – A makeup setting spray is A MUST to help your makeup last longer and also to give you that dewy glow. I spritz this liberally as the last step before I step out the door. The Urban Decay ones are great as well (and also made by Skindinavia).
8. Smudgeproof or Waterproof Mascara: Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Frame Plus – In the summer, I’m all about simple, fresh makeup. As you can see from the items above, I think the core to this is a glowy, healthy base. Mascara will be generally the only eye makeup I wear, if I’m wearing eye makeup at all. I’ve gone back to the Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Frame Plus after finishing some other mascaras.
9. Bright nail polishes – I’m really drawn to bright, warm colors for the summer. Nothing beats a vibrant, warn-toned polish with tanned skin. My current favorites are (from L to R): Butter London Trout Pout, Chanel 617 Holiday, Dior Riviera, and Le Metier de Beaute Red Hot Tango. Wet n Wild Megalast Nail Color in Heatwave looks like it would be a great cheaper alternative since it falls in this color category, and it has good reviews on wear.
10. Tinted Lip Balm with SPF: Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15 – Again, with the SPF – it’s important to protect your lips! A light tint of color is nice too, and I really like these Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatments in Rose, and Honey. It’s easy to throw these on without a mirror, and they are decently moisturizing. I want to try the Coral and Petal colors next.
What are your summer beauty essentials?
There’s a tag floating around the beauty virtual world on “10 makeup products I would repurchase” if I lost all of my makeup. The intent is to show what products are truly your go-to products, beyond monthly favorites, that you absolutely must have. Here goes!
- Chantecaille Just Skin Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15 in Glow – Despite the hefty price tag of $64, this really is the best base I’ve used. On a daily basis for a light coverage, this is my go-to product. I keep thinking this may not be worth it, but I have consistently been asked by other women what I’m using to make my face so glowy when I’m wearing this.
- Clé de Peau Beauté Concealer in Beige – I use this all over my face to cover discoloration and blemishes. It’s again, another super pricey product at $70, but the retractable stick form is so easy for me to apply with my fingers. It’s also highly pigmented so the stick lasts for A LONG TIME. If I were to use it under my eyes, I might get shade Ivory for that brightening effect, but I’m happy with Beige.
- Majolica Majorca SPF 18+ Skin Remaker Pore Cover in OC20 – This is a sub-brand of Shiseido, and I’ve come to REALLY like their products. I use shade OC20, and it’s perfect. I use this to set my makeup, and it really does create a near flawless finish. One note – you have to buy the gold case separately.
- Chanel Joues Contraste Powder Blush – in shade Orchid Rose or Rose Initiale. I am a blush junkie and rarely wear the same blush two days in a row. I have a hard time picking which blush I would repurchase (I will never go through a blush), but if I were to pick just ONE, then I would pick a Chanel Joues Contraste. I don’t wear my Chanel blushes often, but every time I do, I wonder why I don’t. It’s so finely milled and leaves your cheeks with a natural, beautiful glow.
- Anastasia Brow Wiz in Medium Ash – The thin pencil makes penciling in the eyebrow so easy and natural. It’s also a very natural eyebrow color for those with very dark brown hair with no red tones.
- Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Frame Plus – This is a fantastic mascara for those of us with short lashes that resist holding a curl. It lengthens REALLY WELL and keeps a curl like no other. It’s very water resistant and does not smudge.
- Urban Decay Naked 2 Eyeshadow Palette – Out of all the eyeshadow palettes I have, this is truly the one eyeshadow palette that you need to do multiple neutral to smokey eyes and everything in between.
- Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eyeliner – A great eyeliner, but not smudge proof or waterproof by any means. Works better for me than Urban Decay 24/7 and Make Up For Ever Aqua liners. Still needs to be set by an eyeshadow.
- Tom Ford Lipstick in Blush Nude – My light pinky-nude lipstick of choice for a night out. Never fails to make me feel put together. Needs a gloss on top.
- Skindinavia No More Shine Makeup Finish Spray – With extremely oily skin, I NEED to set my makeup. Leaves my face looking glowy, not oily. Love. I currently have the Dance Active Makeup Spray version, but I prefer No More Shine. Urban Decay De-Slick has the same effect.
What are makeup products that you would repurchase?? If you’ve done this tag already, please share with us in the comments!