There’s a great tag floating around Youtube called The Perfect Palette Tag, and it is a topic around makeup palettes – your favorites (or non-favorite) why. I’ve really been enjoying seeing what palettes people chose – here’s mine:
1. Best packaging – Laura Mercier Artist Palette 2 ($48)
There are so many factors that can make up “best” packaging – aesthetics, function, practicality, or something else entirely?? I chose to focus on function and practicality (as I tend to do). What I like about this palette (besides the colors, which are really great):
- Padded – I don’t need to worry about it breaking if I pack it in my makeup bag for traveling
- Made of shiny faux leather – easy to wipe and clean
- Magnetic closure that overlaps to the side of the palette – secure clasp won’t let the palette open accidentally
- Large mirror on the inside
This palette is sold out online at Sephora.com, BUT I’ve seen it in stock at various Sephora stores, so check out your local store.
2. Best color payoff – Urban Decay Smoked Eyeshadow Palette ($49)
This palette is amazing, and if you don’t have it, you should seriously consider owning it if you like smokey eye looks. It does a smokey or smokier neutral eye so easily. The only shadow you need to supplement this is a lighter blending shade (my favorites are Burberry Sheer Shadow in Almond, MAC Quarry, Soft Brown, or Kid). Pigmentation is fantastic, and I have yet to experience any fallout.
3. Most versatile – Urban Decay Naked 2 Eyeshadow Palette ($52)
No surprise, one of the Urban Decay Naked palettes had to come up in this tag. My favorite is Naked 2, because you can do anything from an extremely natural, no-makeup makeup look to an intense smokey eye – without the glitter from Naked 1. I haven’t purchased Naked 3 yet – I know I’ll cave and get it at some point, but the rosy nude look isn’t my thing.. have you tried Naked 3?
4. Best for traveling – Maybelline Stylish Smokes Quad in Natural Smokes (~$6) or Urban Decay Naked 2 ($52)
I think the BEST palette from the drugstore is Maybelline Stylish Smokes Quad in Natural Smokes (which has a different layout now) – you can go super natural or smokey – all in a lightweight compact. Thus, it’s my favorite for traveling light (very light), but if I were traveling and I wanted more options yet still have the same versatility, gotta go back to my answer for Question 3, which is Naked 2.
5. Biggest regret(s) – Laura Mercier Eye and Cheek Palette and limited edition color holiday quads
I routinely purge my makeup collection of items I don’t like, but for reasons unknown to myself I have yet to get rid of the Laura Mercier Eye and Cheek Palette. I got this with the intention of having it be my go-to travel palette, but it just doesn’t do anything for me. Did I get a dud? The eyeshadows aren’t super pigmented, and the blushes are meh. I think I’ll finally get rid of this one.
Other regrets are color limited edition holiday quads, namely Tom Ford Emerald Lust, YSL Boreal Palette in Arctic Night, Guerlain Ombre Eclat 4 Couleurs in Velours D’Or. These colors just totally suck me in, but I NEVER use them, and they end up gathering dust. Maybe I’ll bust them out for holiday parties… but most likely not.
These are all great palettes (I mean, I made the MUFE palette myself!), but I just never use them.
7. Most Used / Most Loved / Which palette would you want with you if you were on a deserted island?
I think the original purpose of this question was to tease out your one Holy Grail palette, but I decided to focus on the deserted island part. The sequence I would choose to focus on would be firstly flawless skin, then blush/bronzer, then eyes, then lips. If I were trapped on a deserted island and I needed some makeup products to survive, I would firstly want some sort of base, like the Make Up For Ever Concealer Palette ($38) or various colors of the Shiseido Sun Protection Compact Foundation SPF 34 PA+++ ($27) in pan form in a Z Palette, because 1) I still want flawless looking skin even on a deserted island, and 2) I’d want SPF with coverage because I don’t want suns spots. And because why not.
But if I needed to choose color products, I’d choose the NARS Danmari Blush Palette, complete with a bronzer, highlight, and various blush shades. Since that was limited edition, I’d go with something like NARS Blush and Bronzer Duo in Deep Throat and Laguna ($41).
If I HAD to choose an eye palette, I’d pick NARS And God Created The Woman ($59), since it’s smaller than the size of my hand and has staple NARS shades: Alhambra, Bellisima, Kalahari, Galapagos, Coconut Grove, and Night Clubbing. It’s decently versatile and would go AMAZINGLY well with the tan I’ll get on that deserted island!
Check out my favorite videos on Youtube for this tag so far:
What are your favorite/least favorite palettes??
Sephora is having their 20% off sale for members of their VIB loyalty program from November 8 to November 12, 2012. During this period, those who qualify as a VIB (annual spend greater than $350 on purchases linked to your loyalty account) can get 20% off any purchase. Needless to say, this is pretty exciting for beauty lovers. We usually go crazy during this time trying out new products, but we wanted to put out a brief recommendation list for those of you who might be looking for some inspiration.
Below are what we believe to be foundational beauty buys from Sephora:
- Concealer: Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage – GREAT concealer for blemishes and discoloration. Mini review here.
- Undereye concealer/brightener: Clinique Airbrush Concealer in Neutral Fair – perfect for light-medium skin tones for covering up mild under eye circles and brightening
- Brows: Anastasia Brow Wiz – So easy to use and portable. Mini review here.
- Face setting spray: Urban Decay De-Slick or All Nighter Setting Spray
- What we want to try: Hourglass Hidden Corrective Concealer
- Urban Decay Naked 2 eyeshadow palette. Must have (see here).
- Stila In The Light Palette (more wearable than Urban Decay Naked 1 and comes with an amazing nearly smudge-proof eyeliner) or Urban Decay Naked 1 (because everyone needs to have it)
- Benefit Stay Don’t Stray primer – Really effective skin-tinted eyeshadow AND under eye concealer primer
- Blush: NARS blush – notably the colors Deep Throat, Douceur, Madly, or Luster
- Bronzer: Edward Bess Ultra Luminous Bronzer in 01 Daydream – beautiful bronzer for light to light/medium skin tones; gives a natural glow and is super forgiving to use
- Highlight: Dior Diorskin Shimmer Star in Amber Diamond – if you’re going to highlight your face, you might as well have one of the best
- What we want to try: BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector in Moonstone
- Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Rose – moisturizing, no parabens, gives a lovely rose tint
- What we want to try: YSL Sheer Candy
- Facial treatment: Sunday Riley Juno Transformative Lipid Serum – antioxidant-rich oil that leaves skin glowy. Mini review here.
- Face and body moisturizer: First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream – scent-free, paraben-free, very effective moisturizer
- What we want to try: SK-II Facial Treatment Clear Lotion – alcohol-free toner for those with congested skin; contains Pitera, SK-II’s famous anti-aging ingredient
- Facial cleaning: Clarisonic Mia + brush heads
- Makeup application: beautyblender – your foundation will look flawless on your face!
- What we want to try: Sultra The Bombshell 1 inch curling wand
Fab Sephora VIB recommendation videos by two of our favorite Youtube beauty gurus:
What do you recommend? What’s on your wish list??